U.S. Federal Registration for Trademarks
What are the benefits of federal trademark registration? [source: USPTO]
- Constructive notice nationwide of the trademark owner’s claim.
- Evidence of ownership of the trademark.
- Jurisdiction of federal courts may be invoked.
- Registration can be used as a basis for obtaining registration in foreign countries.
- Registration may be filed with U.S. Customs Service to prevent importation of infringing foreign goods.
- Attorneys’ fees may be awarded.
Search the federal and state registries for active trademarks, search all abandoned applications and registrations, search all databases including commercial and telephone directories.
Determine if your domain name may infringe upon or is similar to any famous but registered or unregistered trademarks, names or service marks.
Obtain federal trademark registration of your domain name and then register that name with InterNIC, Network Solutions.
Seek Legal Advice